Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's only been a year, but what a year!
















Oh, Dear Readers,


Yes I've been one of those - a starter and a quitter in the world of bloggers - a setter-upper and a letter-downer, a hare not a tortoise. So today, I make no great promises of fealty or dedication - I know I need to prove myself in deeds, not words - except those so-called deeds involve words, how confusing.

Maybe this time it will take as I'm finally getting the hang of why a social networking site like Facebook can be fun, and how gratifying it can be to share my works-in-progress online. In this busy, busy world of bits and bites and waves of information this might be the only way to reach many of you and I might say things a little differently than I would in person or from the stage.












It also serves something in me that craves immediate gratification and response. In the last few years I've written a lot of songs that I haven't had time to perform, Blame Sally being so busy and all. (Though it seems like soon we're going to be dedicating ourselves full-time to the band, which means at last we will be able to spend as much time learning material as we do performing it! - Look forward to a Blame Sally blog coming in the VERY near future)



In the meantime, though, and back to my point, when I write songs and don't perform them, I tend to forget about them, turning them into little orphans that hardly seem to exist in my consciousness. Thank God Tom is a faithful archivist and records and saves my songs as they go down. I've recently unearthed some pretty good ones and have consequently been inpired to write more. I've been recording a solo album with BZ Lewis and Margrit Eichler (True Margrit) and plan on having some cool guest musicians in on the project. We played at the Cafe du Nord last week (See pix by Tom, of course of me, Chris Kee, Jane Selky, BZ Lewis and Pam Delgado), opening for Emily Bezar, an amazing cross between Kate Bush and Sun Ra. Wow. (that's Emily with the flowing wild hair playing piano)



Tomorrow - off with Blame Sally to the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival. It's legendary - should be a fun gig. It's a lot of travel for one day and one show, but I have a feeling it will be worth it. Blame Sally will be recording our next album this fall - this time with a producer and in a state-of-the-art studio. Should be an amazing experience.

Here's a song I wrote on Sunday about Tom. I've started recording it with Margrit. You can hear a demo version of it on my Facebook page.


“I Knew You When”

I knew you when every day was adventure
Every night was a challenge that you met
I knew you when they called you Mercutio
There was nothing you didn’t know, if I asked

And you could run, you could run, you could run
With your face to the sun, with your face to the sun
You could run, you could run, you could run
With your face to the sun, with your face to the sun

I knew you when your feet on the pedals
Your arms brown and freckled, you would laugh
I knew you when you were too fast to follow
From behind I would call you, “Come back, Come back”!

And you could fly, you could fly, you could fly
As you aimed for the sky, you aimed for the sky
You could fly, you could fly, you could fly
As you aimed for the sky, you aimed for the sky

I knew you when we believed we were magic
Immune to the tragic and we loved
I knew you when our lives were like flowers
Open and powerful and young
Our lives were like flowers
Open and powerful and young

No comments: